The Ministry of Communication, Digital Technology and Innovations has denied allegations that the Minister Samuel Nartey George has misused public funds, saying a document circulating on social media was part of a routine budget authorization request that has not yet been approved or funded.
In a statement dated May 18 2026, the ministry said the document being shared online was an extract from an official submission seeking Commitment Authorisation from the Ministry of Finance under Ghana’s public financial management and procurement procedures for the 2026 fiscal year.
In an X post from Ghana Today, it said ” Sam George blows another GHC10 Million on cars for supervisors of One Million Coders Programme, GHC 50 Million on supervision, GHC1.3 Million on office equipments and GHC1 Million on Air Tickets for trainers.”
The ministry said the request relates to planned projects, operational activities and program interventions captured within budgetary allocations already approved by Parliament for the year.
“It is important to emphasise that the said Commitment Authorisation request is yet to receive approval from the Ministry of Finance,” the statement said. “Consequently, no funds have been released, disbursed or expended in relation to the items referenced in the circulating document.”
The ministry described allegations that public funds had already been “blown” or squandered as “inaccurate, misleading and devoid of context.”
The controversy emerged after portions of the document circulated widely on social media platforms alongside claims accusing the minister of excessive or improper spending.
Under Ghana’s public financial management framework, ministries and government agencies are required to seek authorization from the Ministry of Finance before funds can be committed or spent on approved projects and operational activities.
The ministry said the circulating document represented part of that administrative process and did not constitute evidence of expenditure or fund disbursement.
The statement added that the ministry remains committed to transparency, accountability and adherence to public financial management regulations in carrying out its mandate. The incident adds to growing scrutiny of government spending as it seeks to cut spending.
Statement Below;
