Ghana Water Limited (GWL) has uncovered illegal water losses valued at more than GH¢4.4 million in just six weeks, raising alarm over what it describes as one of the most urgent threats to the nation’s water security.
Between August 11 and September 29, 2025, enforcement teams swept through Accra and Tema, uncovering widespread malpractice among 109 customers. Infractions ranged from meter bypasses and tampering to illegal connections and the use of booster pumps that diverted supply from neighbouring households.
So far, only GH¢760,631 has been recovered, with 24 customers paying in full, 43 making partial payments, and 42 yet to settle their debts.
“This is a wake-up call,” said Adam Mutawakilu, Managing Director of GWL, during a stakeholder workshop in Accra. “Every drop of water lost to theft is a drop denied to a community. These practices not only rob GWL of revenue but also prevent us from expanding access, upgrading networks, and ensuring reliable supply for households, schools, and industries.”
The company says commercial water theft directly undermines Ghana’s urban infrastructure, depriving families of equitable access and worsening its financial struggles.
Since taking office in February, Mr. Mutawakilu has faced ballooning costs for electricity, chemicals, and equipment while revenues remain weak.
In July, he launched the National Revenue Enhancement Teams (NRET) to confront the crisis head-on.
At the workshop, attended by ministries, regulators, assemblies, law enforcement, the World Bank, and customer representatives, Mr. Mutawakilu called for urgent collaboration, stressing that GWL cannot fight illegal connections alone.
He pledged stricter enforcement, stronger partnerships with police, and greater transparency in operations.
“Addressing commercial losses is central to the Government’s ‘Water for All’ agenda and Sustainable Development Goal 6. As we confront the combined pressures of climate change, population growth, and aging infrastructure, we must act decisively,” he warned.
Data presented at the workshop showed that more than half of GWL’s active customers in Accra East consume between 20 and 60 cubic metres of water monthly, while 27 percent consume less than 20, reflecting limited access.
At the high end, commercial and institutional users dominate consumption above 60 cubic metres.
Marketing Manager Christopher Bofa explained that illegal practices not only drain revenue but also cause inequities in distribution, allowing some to benefit unfairly while entire communities are deprived of regular flow.
“Every cubic metre lost to theft reduces our ability to expand services, maintain infrastructure, and respond to customer needs,” he said.
GWL says it will use findings from the enforcement drive and workshop to guide new operational reforms. But for now, the message is that, unless water theft is curbed, Ghana’s hopes of universal, reliable access remain under threat.