More than 3,000 Boeing defense workers in Missouri and Illinois are set to go on strike Monday, adding to the mounting troubles of the aviation giant.
The planned walkout follows a vote by union members rejecting Boeing’s latest offer over disputes regarding pay, work schedules, and pensions. The workers, who are responsible for assembling key military aircraft like the F-15 fighter jets, are represented by the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM).
“This offer included 40% average wage growth. We’re disappointed it was rejected,” said Dan Gillian, vice president of Boeing’s Air Dominance unit.
IAM officials argue the proposal fell short of what workers deserve.
“Members have spoken loud and clear,” said union leader Tom Boelling. “They deserve a contract that reflects their skill, dedication, and their vital role in national defense.”
If the strike proceeds, it would mark the first such labor action at Boeing’s defense unit since 1996, when workers halted production for over three months.
The development adds fresh pressure on Boeing, which has been battling a series of crises in recent years—from fatal crashes of its 737 aircraft to a recent mid-air incident in 2024 when a panel detached mid-flight. A separate strike last year involving 30,000 passenger aircraft workers cost the company billions.
Boeing’s aircraft deliveries fell to just 348 in 2024, its lowest output since the pandemic, deepening its financial woes.
With labor tensions escalating, the latest strike threat could further delay production and dent investor confidence as Boeing seeks to rebuild trust and stability.